Are you as excited as we are that we in central Texas have had a few days warm enough to enjoy the many bodies of water in Austin? Get those kayaks and paddleboards ready to hit the waves, but also make sure you’re up to date on the local ordinances.
In addition to the Texas Water Safety Act, the City of Austin has established several ordinances for Lake Austin, Lady Bird Lake and Lake Walter E. Long. The purposes of these ordinances are to protect the health and safety of the public using the area lakes.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to swim, bathe, wade or go into the waters of Lady Bird Lake, except in efforts to rescue and recover human beings.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to fish from the deck or other portion of any bridge which crosses the Colorado River within the city limits.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to dive from or jump of any bridge which crosses the Colorado River within the city limits.
- No person shall operate a gas powered motor vessel on the waters of Lady Bird Lake, except with the permission of the city. Motorboats operated by officers and employees of the city in the performance of their official duties are exempt.
- No person on any watercraft on Lake Austin, Lake Walter E. Long, or Lady Bird Lake shall possess, use or operate, or assist in the use or other similar device capable of propelling or launching fluid filled balloons or other projectiles.
- No person within 150 yards of the shoreline of Lake Austin, Lake Walter E. Long, or Lady Bird Lake shall use or operate, or assist in the use or other similar device to propel or launch fluid filled balloons or other projectiles towards the waters of said lakes.
- Only boats powered by electric motors which do not exceed a capacity of five horsepower can operate on Lady Bird Lake. It shall be unlawful for any person to occupying watercraft located on Lady Bird Lake for the purpose of sleeping between dusk and dawn or overnight habitation unless the City Council approves otherwise.
Familiar with all of these ordinances, but don’t have your own gear? Come see us next door to Joe’s Crab Shack off Riverside and 35 and we will get you and your friends all set for a fun filled day on Lady Bird Lake or even for an evening tour to see the famous Congress Bridge Bats. Hope to see you all paddling around ATX!